Artificial intelligence, bitcoin, programming, English, and learning skills top this year’s list.
Coursera has become a top destination for people around the world to learn skills that help them succeed personally and professionally. With over 30 million registered learners – many who are looking for a leg up in their careers – we are able to track global trends for in-demand job skills.
2017’s 10 most popular courses show that cutting-edge tech skills continue to be the most sought after in online education. This year, the world witnessed significant technology advancements that will have long term implications for our economy and the way we work. Artificial intelligence dominated the list of top courses this year, taking three of the spots in our top 10 list, including the Machine Learning and Deep Learning courses taught by our co-founder Andrew Ng and a Machine Learning course from the University of Toronto. Blockchain has also burst onto the scene, putting Princeton’s Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency course at number five on the list.
It’s not just technology skills that are trending – the basic learning and information-retention skills taught in our popular Learning How to Learn course are extremely sought-after by people of all ages. We’d recommend this class to everyone as the world becomes a place that rewards lifelong learning more and more.
The trends we saw in 2017 will continue into 2018 as artificial intelligence, blockchain, and anything at the intersection of business and data analytics continue to see growth. We’re excited to add many more courses in these topics in 2018.
As the rise of automation threatens to displace jobs, more adults will look for credentials that help them enter new career paths in 2018. We are launching an IT Support Certificate with Google in January which is just one example of a high value credential we’ll be offering in 2018. Our goal is to make it possible for anyone to go from having no experience to getting a well-paid job in technology. Find our most popular courses in 2017 below.
Most Popular Courses in 2017*
- Machine Learning – Stanford University
- Neural Networks and Deep Learning – deeplearning.ai
- Learning How to Learn: Powerful Mental Tools to Help You Master Tough Subjects – University of California, San Diego
- Introduction to Mathematical Thinking – Stanford University
- Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Technologies – Princeton University
- Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python) – University of Michigan
- Algorithms, Part I – Princeton University
- English for Career Development – University of Pennsylvania
- Neural Networks for Machine Learning – University of Toronto
- Financial Markets – Yale University
Go here to explore a breakdown of our most popular courses and Specializations by market.
*Based on average daily enrollments in 2017.17