Experts at top companies like Google and Instagram have joined Coursera to help develop the final projects – called “Capstones” – for Coursera Specializations.
Combining a curated series of courses with a final Capstone Project, Specializations help you master new skills with the best of university teaching and the real-time market perspective of top industry partners. Hundreds of thousands of learners have enrolled in Specializations since their launch in January 2014.
The following companies and business leaders are supporting upcoming Specialization Capstones:
- Instagram – Interaction Design, University of California San Diego (starts June 16th)
- Snapdeal & Shazam – Business Foundations, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania (starts April 6th)
- 500 Startups – Entrepreneurship, University of Maryland (enroll anytime)
The first Capstones for Coursera’s Specializations were piloted with support from these companies:
- Google – Mobile Cloud Computing, University of Maryland and Vanderbilt University (enroll now in next session)
- SwiftKey – Data Science, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University (enroll anytime)
- iHeartMedia – Modern Musician, Berklee College of Music (enroll now in next session)
The SwiftKey Capstone Project for Johns Hopkins’ Data Science Specialization has been particularly popular with learners, and the end results are inspiring. One learner, Alejandro Morales Gallardo, is most proud of the Predictive Text App he developed as a result of taking the Specialization:
“With the Capstone Project, it was extremely rewarding to be able to tackle a brand new data type and learn about text mining and natural language processing while building a fun and attractive data product.”
Another Coursera learner, Lucas Allen, saw direct career applications after completing the Data Science Specialization.
“I was identified by a recruiter who found me on LinkedIn, partially as a result of the Verified Certificates I listed on my LinkedIn profile. I could point the HR point person to my portfolio of work on GitHub I had developed through the Specialization. Throughout the interview process, I could refer to the projects and problems I had worked on. I’m now employed at one of the leading insurance and financial services companies in the world.”
With the guidance of amazing universities and top industry leaders, Coursera is a place to come and quickly gain the skills to follow a passion or boost your career in any field. For more information on each Specialization and Capstone Project, visit our individual Specialization pages.