By Shwetabh Mittal, Senior Director, Product Management
We’re excited to share details with you about some exciting new Q3 launches. In this post, we’ll specifically be discussing SkillSets, which are job-based learning programs that can help you bridge skills gaps and boost student job outcomes as well as new curriculum integration features—including curriculum recommendations, for-credit tagging, limited availability schedules, and the online gradebook.
SkillSets are job-based learning programs that leverage world-class courses from leading universities and companies, hands-on learning, and skills insights derived from Coursera learners at over 2,300 employers. With dozens of SkillSets currently available, you can confidently prepare students with the in-demand skills necessary to secure today’s high-growth jobs. Within a given SkillSet, students will take courses and projects tailored to their existing proficiency levels that accelerate their skill mastery.
What are the benefits of SkillSets?
SkillSets will enable you to confidently deploy tailored, job-based learning programs at scale. SkillSets leverage Coursera’s comprehensive skills and role insights to identify the high-growth jobs that companies are hiring for, and the corresponding skills they require. This allows you to:
- Choose from dozens of job-based learning programs that develop in-demand skills for entry-level roles.
- Deliver job-based learning with confidence, knowing that you’re teaching exactly the in-demand skills necessary to drive stronger student employability outcomes.
- Deliver tailored learning experiences with dynamic course and project recommendations that are optimized for the proficiency level of each student.
- Drive mastery of in-demand tools and technologies using Guided Projects that leverage a side-by-side interface in a virtual cloud workspace.
Additionally, with our Skills Development Dashboards, you can track student progress and monitor skill acquisition over time. Also, you can compare student skills against industry benchmarks. In addition to optimizing your learning programs, this information will allow you to share actionable insights with prospective employers and match candidates to the right opportunities based on their skills.
Learn more about SkillSets in our announcement here.
Successful curriculum integration begins with easy and effective navigation—the ability to quickly find the right courses to supplement your curriculum and fit your students’ needs. Then, you’ll want to seamlessly incorporate that content into your learning programs and workflows. And finally, you need to be able to deploy courses and monitor student progress. To achieve all these goals, we’re introducing some great new features. Let’s review each one:
Curriculum recommendations. Our curriculum recommendations feature will help you navigate the Coursera catalog to select the courses that supplement your curriculum and fit your students’ needs. This feature allows you to:
- Browse courses by academic discipline making it easy for you to discover the courses in our catalog that correspond with the core subjects you are teaching in your curriculum.
- View our recommendations of courses to offer for credit based on our extensive skills expertise and data to leverage the courses in our catalog that are most suitable for your core curriculum.
For-Credit Tagging: In addition to the enhanced navigation functionality described above, this feature allows you to choose and tag which courses you would like to offer for credit. This makes it easier for your learners to see which courses are part of your core curriculum that they need to complete, right from within the Coursera platform.
Limited Availability Schedules: You can use this feature to offer courses within timeframes that align with your academic term or other timelines that your institution observes. This simplifies program management, as you don’t have to worry about multiple, misaligned timelines. For your students, this will help to ensure they’re progressing as a cohort in order to comply with the timelines you have set.
Online Gradebook: Our online gradebook provides you with course progress monitoring abilities, right from within the Coursera platform. Leveraging this functionality, you will be able to:
- Track the progress of students taking a course across in order to ensure that your students are moving smoothly throughout the course. You can see this progress at a cohort level for the current academic term or for all students who have taken that course.
- Identify learners who are enrolled, at risk, inactive, or who have completed the course in order to take necessary corrective measures.
- Export data to load into your LMS in order to analyze this information along with the rest of your program information.
The online gradebook also provides information at an individual level, allowing you to see how a student is progressing in a course, how they have performed in assignments and quizzes, and where their progress has stalled. Additionally, if you see anything that is a cause for concern (e.g. a student has failed a quiz or has been inactive), you can send them a message from within the online gradebook, providing that proactive nudge they might need.
We’re excited for you to start taking advantage of these new features. If you have any questions or comments, please reach out to us or contact your customer success manager.29