By Betty Vandenbosch, Chief Content Officer, Coursera
The global labor market continues to undergo profound change, exacerbated by the pandemic and automation. According to McKinsey, demand for workers in fields including STEM and business is expected to increase even more by 2030 – which presents a meaningful opportunity for people across the globe.
To help learners everywhere participate in the digital economy, we’re introducing new degrees and credentials from leading universities to train people for jobs of the future. We’re also proud to welcome 15 new partners to the platform: key Indian universities such as Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Indian Institute of Management Indore, Indian Institute of Science, and International Institute of Information Technology Bangalore and industry leaders including Accenture, ADP, Campus BBVA, Coinbase, Genentech, Goodwill, Hero Mindmine, HR Certification Institute (HRCI), PwC India, SAP, and Tally Education will help expand our catalog of high-quality, job-relevant content.
New degrees and pathways from leading universities prepare learners for in-demand careers
As more students prioritize flexibility and employability in their degree education, universities around the world are responding with innovative online programs that teach job-relevant skills. Today, we’re unveiling two new master’s degree programs from top-ranked universities in India:
- MSc in Data Science from the International Institute of Information Technology Bangalore* — Offered by a top technical institute in India, this is the first data science degree from an Indian university on Coursera. The rigorous program combines high-quality instruction with real-world experience through applied projects. Graduates will be prepared for roles such as data scientist, data architect, and machine learning engineer. The first cohort is expected to begin by the end of the year.
- Executive Masters in Business Administration from the Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee — Offered by one of the premium institutes in India, this 2-year masters program with features including credit-based payment and flexibility in enrollment is aligned to the needs of Industry 4.0 and designed to develop capable managers skilled in both engineering and business. The program aims to prepare future leaders in high-growth industries. The first cohort is expected to begin in November 2022.
I’m also pleased to share that, for the first time on Coursera, two university partners are collaborating to create degree pathways between institutions: students who graduate from the University of London’s online Bachelor of Science in Marketing or online Bachelor of Science in Business Administration will have a preferred admissions pathway into the University of Illinois’ online Master’s of Management degree – creating a seamless path for lifelong learning. The University of Illinois hopes to expand the pathway to other Gies online graduate programs, including the Master’s of Business Administration, Master’s of Science in Accountancy, and stackable Graduate Certificates.
Postgraduate programs from ISB and Macquarie help learners advance in business and management
Postgraduate programs on Coursera offer a chance to complete graduate-level learning from world-class institutions without committing to a full degree program. We are introducing three business-focused programs today:
- Global Management Programme in Operations & Supply Chain and Global Management Programme for Infrastructure from the Indian School of Business – The Global Management Programme in Infrastructure will equip learners to develop strategic plans, manage uncertainty and risks, and learn to communicate, market, and negotiate effectively. The Global Management Program in Operations & Supply Chain is designed to meet the increasing demand for techno-business managers for the operations and supply chain sector. The first cohorts are expected to begin in October 2022.
- Graduate Certificate of Global Business Practice from Macquarie University – Offered by one of Australia’s top-ranked business schools, this program helps professionals master the fundamentals of business, including global operations, international expansion, human resources management, marketing, finance, and more. This program serves as a pathway to the fully online Global MBA from Macquarie. Applications are open now.
University-issued certificates from IIT Guwahati, IIT Roorkee, and CU Boulder teach skills of the future
University certificates generally take six months or less to complete and help learners develop expertise in a specific field. Today we are announcing 10 certificates:
- Six job-relevant Postgraduate Certificate Programs from the Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati – Programs in Cloud Computing Applications; Deep Learning for Computer Vision & Extended Reality (XR); Digital Manufacturing; UX Design & HCI; Natural Language Processing; and Robotics & Mechatronics will help learners gain the skills needed to succeed in today’s most in-demand roles.
- Post Graduate Certificate in Machine Learning for Finance and Post Graduate Certificate in Strategic Supply Chain Management with AI from the Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee – Covering concepts such as supervised and unsupervised learning, natural language processing, and artificial neural networks, the Machine Learning for Finance program will provide learners with an overview of ML and its application to the finance industry. The Strategic Supply Chain Management program will provide foundational knowledge about the cutting-edge advances in intelligent supply chain strategies, driven by AI and ML technologies.
- Data Science Graduate Certificate and Engineering Management Graduate Certificate from the University of Colorado Boulder – The Data Science Graduate Certificate will help learners develop interdisciplinary skills in data science with instruction from leading faculty and hands-on projects. With a focus on authentic leadership, project management, and finance, the Engineering Management Graduate Certificate is designed for both engineers who are looking to ascend into leadership roles and current managers preparing to lead technical teams. These certificates can count for credit towards CU Boulder’s fully online Master of Science in Data Science or Master of Engineering in Engineering Management, respectively. Enrollments for both programs are expected to open in August 2022.
In addition to these degrees and credentials, we have also introduced a new career training academy alongside entry-level certificates from industry educators and improved our platform experience to help learners succeed in a digital-first world.
We are honored to partner with some of the world’s best higher education institutions and industry leaders to widen our portfolio of high-quality content and credentials. I look forward to seeing how these new offerings will make learning on Coursera even more rewarding for learners across the globe.
* Approval from the University Grants Commission (UGC) in progress