By Marni Baker Stein, Chief Content Officer, Coursera
Digital transformation, automation, and globalization continue to profoundly reshape the labor market and the world at large. With the rise of generative AI, this change is happening at an even more accelerated pace – up to 49% of workers could have half or more of their tasks exposed to large language models. To help learners adapt to this new future, Coursera is announcing new degrees, Professional Certificates, and other content offerings from leading universities and industry educators.
We’re also excited to welcome 16 new partners to the Coursera community. Universities such as Anáhuac University Network (Red de Universidad Anáhuac), Ball State University, Illinois Institute of Technology (Illinois Tech), London Business School, and S.P. Jain Institute of Management and Research (SPJIMR), and industry experts including Akamai Technologies, American Psychology Association, Cisco, Epic Games, Fractal Analytics Inc, Keller Williams, MedCerts, Moderna, Novartis, Unilever, and Zoho will help us deliver world-class programs to learners everywhere.
Introducing 8 new career-focused degree programs, each affordably priced under $20,000
Degrees remain the most valuable credential for social and economic mobility, but learners need programs that are flexible, affordable, and accessible. We are excited to expand our portfolio of world-class online degrees with eight new programs from leading universities, bringing Coursera’s catalog to more than 50 bachelor’s and master’s degrees. With pricing under $20,000, all new degrees offer exceptional affordability and accessibility, especially well-suited for working adults.
Illinois Tech is a nationally ranked private university that is committed to expanding access to job-relevant education – and known for graduates that receive a 90% employment rate within six months of graduation. Together, we are announcing four industry-aligned degrees, which all feature performance-based admissions with no prerequisites or applications required. These programs are expected to begin their first cohorts in August 2023:
- Master of Business Administration from Illinois Tech – This program prepares students for management careers in the technology space. In addition to core courses in finance, marketing, and digital transformation, students can also choose from a variety of electives in AI, data science, cybersecurity, and more.
- Master of Science in Data Science from Illinois Tech – Students will learn how to make sense of data using a blend of high-level mathematics, statistics, and computer science. The curriculum will include industry partner content to provide students with real-world experience. Graduates will be prepared for data science careers in business or industry.
- Master of Science in Information Technology from Illinois Tech – This program covers new and emerging information technologies, their application and integration, and the administrative practices used in their effective management. Taught by experienced faculty using a hands-on, reality-based approach, the curriculum is a blend of theoretical content and practical application with projects and laboratory-based instruction. Graduates will be prepared for careers in such areas as IT management, database administration, operations research, and more.
- Bachelor of Information Technology from Illinois Tech – Designed for students with any associate’s degree or at least 61 credit hours, this bachelor completion program will prepare graduates for careers in IT or cloud computing. The curriculum will introduce students to contemporary operating systems, hardware, systems programming, cloud technologies, and more.
“As a nationally ranked university with expertise in tech-driven fields, Illinois Tech is among the leaders in the state and the nation in providing students from diverse backgrounds with a world-class education that changes their lives. This partnership with Coursera further positions Illinois Tech as both an opportunity engine and university of the future—one that offers a powerful, relevant, digital education anytime, anywhere. We are proud to offer an accessible education that enables learners throughout the world to shape the future of technology.” – Kenneth T. Christensen, Interim Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs at Illinois Tech.
Ball State University, an Indiana-based public research institution committed to serving learners throughout their lifetime educational journey, is nationally-recognized as a leader in delivering high-quality online programs. Today, we are announcing two job-aligned degrees from Ball State University that feature performance-based admissions with no prerequisites or application required. The first cohorts are expected to begin in August 2023.
- Master of Science in Computer Science from Ball State University – This program, built specifically for learners with non-technical backgrounds, emphasizes hands-on learning experience in high-demand areas such as machine learning, data analytics, cybersecurity, and software engineering. Students can also deepen their knowledge in more specialized areas with electives such as AI, web development, and data visualization. The curriculum will incorporate industry content to enhance career outcomes, preparing graduates for roles in software development, network and systems engineering, and more.
- Master of Science in Data Science from Ball State University – In this program, also designed for learners with non-technical backgrounds, students will not only gain strong foundations in math, computer science, and statistics, but also hands-on experience in big data that they can apply immediately in their careers. The curriculum, which will incorporate industry content from SAS Institute, Inc. and others, will focus on high-demand skills in data science, machine learning, predictive modeling, and more. Graduates will be prepared for careers in fields such as business analysis, data analysis, and business intelligence.
“For almost 25 years, Ball State University has been at the forefront of offering quality, innovative online programs, plus we are a top institution for social mobility. This partnership with Coursera is a natural next-step for us to expand higher education access. We are proud to offer these two new, affordable master’s degrees in high-demand fields as we respond to workforce needs in our own state of Indiana and beyond.” – Geoffrey S. Mearns, Ball State President
University of Colorado, Boulder (CU Boulder), longtime degree partner and pioneer of performance-based admissions on the platform, is also announcing their fourth degree on Coursera:
- Master of Science in Computer Science from the University of Colorado, Boulder – This program takes a broad approach to advanced computer science with graduate-level courses in algorithms, machine learning, network systems, and more. Students can also explore interdisciplinary electives in electrical engineering, engineering management, or data science through courses from CU Boulder’s other degrees on Coursera. Graduates will be prepared for careers in software engineering, systems engineering, web development, and more. Admission is based on performance in three preliminary courses, not academic history. The first cohort is expected to begin in August 2023.
“We are excited to offer a Computer Science MS degree that uses CU Boulder’s unique and successful performance-based admissions approach on Coursera. This degree will make the modern, high-quality instruction that we provide to residential students available to a global audience.” – Bobby Schnabel, Computer Science Department External Chair & Professor at CU Boulder
As we expand our international degree portfolio, we are also proud to announce a new program from S.P. Jain Institute of Management and Research (SPJIMR), the eighth degree from an Indian institution on Coursera:
- PGDM (Online) from SPJIMR – This two-year Post Graduate Diploma in Management equips students with an integrated approach to functional management and related problem solving tools. In addition to general management courses, the curriculum includes a choice of three micro-specializations in areas such as marketing, supply chain, and finance. Students will also have the option to attend on-campus immersion days in Mumbai for academic sessions, guest lectures, and workshops. Applications for the program open in May and the first cohort is expected to begin in November 2023.
“At the heart of SPJIMR’s PGDM Online is the belief that education should adapt to the needs of learners, and not the other way around. SPJIMR enables participants to pursue higher education on their own terms, fitting their studies around their busy lives, thanks to the flexibility of online learning. The course is designed to be accessible, convenient, and above all, responsive to the needs of the participants.” – Dr. Varun Nagaraj, Dean, SPJIMR
3 new Professional Certificates from industry experts prepare learners for in-demand jobs
Designed specifically for learners without a degree or industry experience, Entry-level Professional Certificates provide learners with the skills needed to land an entry-level role in a growing career field. A recent Coursera survey found that employers are on average 72% more likely to hire a candidate who has earned an Entry-level Professional Certificate. Today, we are introducing the following new programs from leading industry experts, bringing our portfolio of Entry-Level Certificates to more than 40:
- IT Project Manager Entry-Level Professional Certificate from IBM – This program will provide learners with the skills, tools, and portfolio to have a competitive edge in the job market as an entry-level IT project manager. In addition to developing crucial skills in project management, communication, leadership, and agile methodologies, learners will receive technical training in IT fundamentals, software engineering principles, and more. Learners can pre-enroll for the program now, which is expected to launch at the end of June.
Advanced Professional Certificates on Coursera are designed for intermediate or advanced learners that want to progress or specialize their careers. As part of our commitment to expanding immersive learning on the platform, we’re proud to launch a Spark AR Developer Certificate from Meta and a number of VR course experiences for learners:
- Spark AR Developer Advanced Professional Certificate from Meta – This advanced, six-course certificate teaches learners about AR, including the nuances of AR within social media, browsers, and mobile apps. Learners will explore how to build AR applications for marketing, education, gaming, and entertainment, using the latest tools including Unity, Meta Spark, Vuforia, Playcanvas, and more. The certificate is designed for learners with software development experience. To get the requisite background, learners can first take Meta’s entry-level Front-End Developer certificate on Coursera.
Expanding our portfolio of AI content, including generative AI Teach Outs and Guided Projects
As generative AI takes the world by storm, learners are looking for content that helps them understand this revolutionary technology and how to apply it in their work. We have launched several new pieces of content to meet this growing demand for AI skills:
- AI for Good Specialization from DeepLearning.AI – Created in partnership with the Microsoft AI for Good lab, this program will showcase how AI is being leveraged to address some of the world’s biggest challenges. Experts will share how they are driving AI initiatives that address social and environmental issues from mitigating climate change to supporting disaster response efforts. By the end of the program, learners will understand how to combine human and machine intelligence for positive real-world impact, and ensure AI initiatives are effective and achieve the right outcomes. Learners can pre-enroll for the new Specialization, which is expected to launch at the end of May.
- ChatGPT Teach Out from University of Michigan – This Teach-Out introduces learners to AI and explains how large language models and chatbots like ChatGPT work. Learners will better understand the ethical use of AI, the implications of authorship, and how tools like ChatGPT might be utilized and regulated moving forward.
- ChatGPT for Beginners: SciFi Writing with DALL-E Guided Project – Practice crafting effective prompts by creating an illustrated SciFi story with ChatGPT and DALL-E.
- ChatGPT for Beginners: Using AI For Market Research Guided Project – Create a market research report on the robotics sector using ChatGPT.
- Machine Learning with ChatGPT: Image Classification Model Guided Project – Generate Python code to build a basic neural network with Keras using ChatGPT.
As reskilling and upskilling become an even bigger imperative in an AI-enabled future, we are fortunate to partner with world-class educators to help learners and institutions thrive in a digital economy.
Click here to read about several other announcements made at Coursera Conference 2023.